Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Bad News......:(

Hi all...this is a really hard post for me to write and I've been avoiding doing it. As you know I went to the Dr. yesterday for another unfill and he suggested we do a barium swallow. I was happy he suggested it and so I went to another section of the hospital to do that and then went back up to his office and he said the x-rays are difficult to read but it looks like I have a pretty bad slip :(

I questioned the fact that I don't have any pain, that I just complain of the acid reflux that has actually been worse in the past and this is just a little annoying. I said "Doesn't a slip hurt real bad?" He said "Not necessarily". I also explained that I can eat and drink (not a whole lot, but about what a bandster should, i think) and he said that some is going through the slip. I honestly don't know how long it has been like this. I mean I went on a cruise for goodness sake and gained a little while on it. I did have some tight moments but they subsided.

Anyway getting to even worse news. I asked what do we do and he said that we need to do surgery again to replace (and I'm contemplating removing it). I told him that i have heard of people taking the fluid out and it can fix itself. He said we can do that and it will buy us time, but it will most likely slip again.

Even worse, worse news. When I choose this doctor, one of the things that appealed to me was that I was told that he is a Bliss Doctor and all cash pay patients are covered for one year for complications related to the band. My one year is up on the 18th of Jan, so I'm thinking this should be covered under the Bliss insurance. When I mentioned it, he kind of danced around the subject and then said it is usually for only 90 days and then that someone in his office had embezzled money from him back then and dropped the ball somewhere. He is going to have someone check on it an call me, he said to give them a day or two. I'm so pissed off, I'm not holding my breath on the Bliss thing.

I'm a cash pay patient and just can't afford another operation and if I replace it and put it higher on my stomach, I'm worried it will happen again and then I'll need yet another operation in a year that I can't afford or do.

We took all the fluid out and I feel fine, No acid reflux last night, but I felt it wanting to happen. It is better, but I fear that it will slip further and I'll be in pain and tight again without anything to take out. I haven't eaten anything. I asked about my diet now and he just said to go to protein drinks so I don't gain the weight back. I know I can't live on protein drinks, but I'm going to do them for now and if I must eat something, I will eat something mushie so that maybe the band will have a better chance at going back into place.

It doesn't feel like anything has moved yet. It feels looser but the same position.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted when things change. If anyone else has gone through a similar thing, please contact me, I'd love to hear from you.

9 comments:

  1. So sorry about your bad news BUT he can't tell you that the insurance won't be honored because he had bad luck with one of his partners. OH NO!! Do you have a copy of your insurance papers from when you had your surgery? He's going to have to honor it whether he likes it or not. If he signed a contract, then he has to do it. Hopefully you won't have to fight with him about it though. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm looking through my stuff and I have a pamphlet that says that all cash pay patients are automatically covered when they use a Bliss Doctor, but no insurance paperwork, so I probably dropped the ball there. Just not thinking. And the pamphlet doesn't say 1 year, i was told that verbally. If it doesn't work out, it will be my stupid mistake, i fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if you have health insurance or not.... but most insurances, even if they don't cover the Lap-Band, they WILL cover complications. You might want to look into it?

    I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a slip :( How about trying the 5-day pouch test diet: http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html
    perhaps that might help move the band back to where it belongs :(

    If you haven't already, you might want to go to lapbanktalk.com, and hit the complications sub-forum?

    I'm praying for you!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer....I wish you luck. So sorry you have to go through that. How aweful. You will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously. This makes even me sad. I wish we knew how long it has been slipped and if anything...what caused it. I know so many things must be running through your mind right now. I will for SURE be thinking about you and want to hear what you decide.

    Thanks for keeping us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this. You and I have messaged before, because I have the same issues as you. I'm calling my doctor in the morning, because last time I was in they actually suggested I do the barium test. I said I would come back if I continued to have problems, but since my issues are on and off I figured I didnt need to. Well since my issues are so similiar to yours I will definately call first thing in the morning to have my band checked out just in case. I'm so sorry to hear this, and I truly hope that everything works out in your favor. Luckily my insurance paid for my surgery I cant even imagine how you must feel right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and prayers. I'm still feeling on the good side. I can feel restriction still, which tells me i'm probably still slightly slipped, but it will be hard to tell until i eat something a little more solid. I've been sticking with protein drinks and liquids just to help. I figure if I take it easy it might have a chance of going back.

    Mommyof4...I'm so glad you are going in. The barium swallow thing was no big deal and it will at least let you know what is going on. I wish it would have been done earlier for me.

    I guess time will tell as to where I go from here. If the slip isn't bad, i'm wondering if it can stay in this position for a while without doing anything??? IDK I need to make a list of questions for my next Dr. visit

    ReplyDelete
  8. UGH! Sweetie! I am so sorry!! :( I thought it was weird that you kept needing unfills but I'm no doctor... :( I hope you get coverage under your Bliss program! I know my insurance (regular medical) won't cover ANYthing related to lapband surgery before or after or complication related... sucks! :( I hope you keep your chin up!!

    Glad you had fun on your get away.. I just am getting caught up on posts so I read both your posts together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such bad news all the way around. :( Omg, that seems to happen somewhat often. I don't know statistically how often it happens, but you're the fourth person I know of that it's happened to. :(

    ReplyDelete