Thursday, January 22, 2009

Protein and mushies

Ok, so I called the doctor's office today to find out when I can eat more than just protein and liquids (I'm so sick of all my protein drinks). They said until my first check up in 5 weeks. I was like "what" I can't handle this for 5 weeks. Then the nurse added that I can eat blended foods like blended fruit, apple sauce, split pea soup etc. Just nothing chunky. Well, that opens up a whole new world for me. I've been so board with this protein shake stuff and, to be honest, have been finding it hard to get in enough protein and calories in a day. I can't believe I just said that, but its true. I find I have no middle ground, I'm either sooooo hungry or over stuffed. I guess it will take time to find a happy medium where I know how much to eat. Anyway, after talking to the nurse, I opened up a can of Split Pea soup and divided it into 4 containers and I ate one and it was dreamy. I wasn't full, so I ate another and then I was so stuffed, I had to lay down and I was full for a couple of hours. Then, a few hours later, I made a protein shake. A couple frozen straberries, 1 cup milk, 1/2 banana and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Blended that up and that was great. Again, I was so stuffed after and that lasted a couple hours. It's interesting how making dinner for my kids and hubby isin't as bad as I thought it would be. I'll let you know in a week or two if I still feel the same way, but for now, I'm just happy to be eating stuff a little more interesting. I'm thinking yogurt and sugar free pudding would be ok too, so I might try those later this week. Anyone have any good receipes for me or something they loved when they were at this stage???

Sorry for babbling......feeling great!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there . You will be ok.
    as for ideas. Protien pudding , its YUMMY ..
    Protein Pudding
    1 small box s/f pudding (chocolate or vanilla)
    2 cups milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 scoops protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
    3/4 cup lite sugar free Cool Whip

    Mix together and stir until starts to thicken.
    5--1/2 cup servings
    100 calories
    20 grams of protein
    Are you "Officially ON" mushies ? if you are that's a lot better. can you have refried beans ?
    This is my favorite
    Refried beans layered w/ Sour cream , picante sauce, guacamole, and melted cheese. YUMMY and filling . Make sure you mash or chew the beans WELL.
    Some other ideas that people dont think of as "liquids" but it gets you out of the rut.
    Spagattie sauce ( not chunky )
    Mashed potatoes if they will let you have then .
    Also you can take Fat free Sugar free Ice cream, skim milk and protein powder and make a "Protein" Milk Shake.
    Egg drop soup.

    Hope that is helpful. You will get the hang of getting in enough calories. the important thing is to try to not stay hungry .

    HTH
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete