Hi all, well, I decided its time to post my surgery day story. On MLK day, I went in for surgery and had to be at the Rancho Specialty Hospital by 8 am to check in.
The kids were off school, so my mom had them overnight and me and hubby just had to get up, get ready and go to the hospital. No traffic, so we got there about 30 min early and checked in early. Then we waited in the waiting room until the nurse called me at about 8:15am. I was taken back to the pre op room (by myself) and there they took last minute bloodwork, put in my IV, had me change into the beautiful gown and socks and put my items in a bag. It was cold in the room, so they gave me a nice warmed blanket and there I sad while doctors and nurses whizzed in and out of the room sometimes stopping to talk and ask me the usual questions like "what is your name", "what is your birthdate?" and "what are you here for today?". Then the Doctor came in to talk a little about surgery. By the way, after I was all comfy on my gurney, they called my hubby in to join me until I went to surgery. I was surprised that I was not nervous. I expected to be extreemly nervous, but I was actually excited. I had a weird sense of calm and I was confident everything would be just fine. I was taken back to the surgery room around 11:15 and that room was even colder, so they gave me another warmed blanket and all the people in the room whizzed around me putting on bloodpressure cuffs, temperature thing on my forehead and the anesthesiaologist put something WONDERFUL in my IV. I don't know what it was and I don't even remember him telling me he was doing it, but it was nice. It made me feel sleepy and happy. Then, next thing I know the anesthesiaologis said I was going to go to sleep and they would see me in a little bit. Then I woke up as I was being wheeled back into the recovery room and I was groggy and I remember the nurse calling my name and telling me to wake up. I think the clock said 11:45and then the nurse started giving me water. My left shoulder hurt (they said due to anesthesia) and the nurse gave me some pain meds in my IV. Next think I know, she had me get up to use the rest room. Then she helped me change into my clothes and by 12:45 I was being wheeled out the back door to my husband waiting in the car. We got home by about 2pm and I crushed my pain meds and went to bed. The gas was the worst. I don't remember having much gas pressure when I got home, but it came later that evening. The hot water bottle helped tremendously and my shoulder pain seemed to go away around 6 that evening. The gas pain still comes and goes. It seems after I drink a shake or something, I have a lot of gas built up and if I lay down it helps. I can't wait until the gas is completly gone.
Yesterday--- Jan 21st, was my Granny's funeral and I was able to attend and no one even noticed anything. It was sad, but I got through it and was able to attend the after gathering as well. I just found a seat over in a corner with my good friends and sat and chatted the entire time. All in all, my pain level was fine. I did stop to crush my pain pills in the bathroom and take a little just to keep the pain at bay.
Today -- Jan 22nd I took my bandages off to take a look for the first time. I didn't get instructions on how to take care of them, but I think they need to breathe a little, so I took a shower and took them off. They look ok, but I hate seeing them, for some reason when the bandages are on, I feel like I have a little padding. I might put some back on if I go out today. I feel terribly constipated though (sorry if its too much info). I drank some tea to help with that situation, so hopefully, I will feel more comfortable later this evening. I feel so bloated. Of course, I keep stepping on the scale and it looks like I lost another 2 pounds. Wish it was more considering I'm barly drinking 2 shakes a day, about 300 calories. I worry that I'm not getting enough calories in and my body is storing fat. I'm going to try to drink 3 shakes today.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment