Well, today has been a real good day and I felt like a "normal" person today. Let me tell you how my day went and you'll now what I mean by "normal". Today was Lunch on the Lawn at my kids school. Basically, once a month you bring lunch for your kids at school and eat in the library with them. I usually pick up fast food and eat 1/2 with one kid and the other 1/2 with the other. My kids love me to come, not to visit with me, but for the food, of course. I sit and socialize with the other moms. I did pick them up fast food and I didn't have anything and no one asked me why. After Lunch on the Lawn, a good friend invited me to go have a Starbucks Coffee with her. This is what we always do, not lunch, just Starbucks. I usually have an Iced Pumpkin Spice Late or an Iced White Chocolate Mocha, but I decided to get a Skinny Vanilla Latte (Sugar Free Vanilla syrup, Espresso and Non Fat milk). It tasted pretty good (not as good as Pumpkin Spice Latte) and I felt good about myself for not having the extra sugar or empty calories and I felt like a "normal" person just going for coffee with girlfriends. I didn't feel different because I was banded. I was starving, so I'm having Split Pea Soup as I type, and the Iced Coffee kinda made my stomach ache a little, nothing real bad, I think it might be the coldness of it or because I was super hungry. I don't know??? I have Iced Espresso with artificial sweetener every morning, so I know it wasn't the coffee. Anyway, its not that big a deal. I enjoyed my day!!
I also wanted to mention that because I didn't need the Nutritionist Eval for insurance purposes, my doctor didn't require it. I was a cash pay, so didn't neet a lot of the pre op requirements. I know they are for my own good, but was trying to save cash. Well, because I didn't have this, I kind of feel a little unsure of exactly what I can eat. I know the hospital release paperwork said to drink clear liquids for the first day and then move on to liquid protein drinks after the first day. On day 3, I was starving and after a 2 week pre op protein drink diet, I was sick of protein. I called the Office and the gal said I could have Slit Peas soup, broths, anything really liquified. She added to stay away from cream soups because of the high fat and calories, but that tells me I could have them if I choose to, but beware of how much I'm eating. Right now that is about 1/2 cup at a time, so I don't thing the cream thing is a real concern right now. Anyway, I've been doing a lot of split pea soup (love it), some really runny cream of wheat without lumps. I've tried Yougart, pudding and everything has been fine. I don't want to hurt my band or do anything wrong, but all these things are feeling fine, so I'm going to keep doing these and anything that has this sort of consistancy. I realize, I'm not supposed to chew anything and that it should probably be no thicker than yogurt or split pea soup. My next Dr. appt isin't for 4 more weeks, when the nurse said I can start eating regular food. I was hoping to try regular foods before that. It makes sense to me to try before I get a fill. Anyway, I think I'll go on for a week or two and call the office when I get desperate for something else. Any suggestions or anyone want to tell me how their post op diets were would be great???? How long until the band is officially healed and some experimentation would not do harm???? I know that is probably a question for my Dr., but just curious what everyone else thinks. How long after surgery did you have your first PB???? (what exactly does PB stand for??? I think it means throw up)
Well.....lots of questions....lots of info..... Thanks for reading
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Because each doc is so different I would call your doc NOW and ask them when you can go onto Mushies. You should be allowed mushies soon.
ReplyDeleteYou shoudl be allowed them before your allowed solid foods. Even though you did not see a nut your docs office should still give you a better time frame than " Just do what you feel is best" .
If they dont TELL them to . tell them you want to know what you can eat and WHEN .
tell them that what your doing now is going down fine WHEN what your eating now is not enough WHEN can you go on to things like Mashed potatoes, cream soups, refried beans, ect. And then WHEN can you go on to Semi Solid foods ?
They should line all that out for you . There is no reason for you to have to guess on it .
HTH
Mindy
Oopps hit send too soon . there should be no reason to experiment. Your doc should tell you exactly what to do . In fact i would not experiment. I am a HUGE advocate of following docs orders. So if you dont know what the docs orders are , then i would get them asap !
ReplyDeleteIt takes about 6 weeks for the band to totally heal. As I said before since each doc is different your questions are best answered from your doc. As for PBing... You should not "expect" to PB. My doc says the ONLY reason someone should PB is if they do not follow the rules ( aside from being too tight ) and you know what he's right. the only time I have PBed its been cause of something i have NOT done, not chewed, not taken small enough bites ect.
PB stands for Productive Burp. Basically its throwing up . Keep in mind a PB IS Throwing up as far as the band goes and risk of slipping.
So you can do just as much harm from PBing as you can from throwing up .
HTH
Mindy